Enjoy these Asian inspired green beans - they're going to be your new favorite side dish.
We are big fans of soy sauce in this house. Like, if I don't make some sort of Asian inspired recipe for two weeks, I might be sick. These green beans were inspired by my classic Asian marinade and pair perfectly with my grilled Asian skirt steak recipe.
Dinner made simple
I like to keep meals simple - a protein, a starch, and a vegetable..and maybe some fruit thrown in their if you are feeling fancy. It's too hard to come home on a weeknight and prepare a good source of protein (for us that is usually meat) and four different side dishes. Ain't nobody got time for that!
When making a weeknight meal, I prefer to focus my attention on the protein of the meal, Asian skirt steak, and throw together easy side dishes such as a vegetable (the Asian style green beans in this recipe) and a starch (rice).
Hot & ready
It seems like a simple concept to get all of the food prepped and on the table at the same time, but over my years of cooking, this is something I've struggled with the most. Before you start cooking dinner, take 2 minutes to make a plan.
- Look at the prep/cooking time of each dish
- Read through the instructions ALL THE WAY THROUGH (I'm guilty of not reading until the very end)
- Are there steps that are going to take a longer amount of time? Start on those first (i.e. setting a pot of water to boil)
- Pre-cut all of your fruits and veggies
- Have another family member set the table while you are cooking
Asian Green Beans
- 1 lb fresh green beans trimmed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp soy sauce (coconut aminos for gluten free)
- garnish with sesame seeds and green onions
- Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil in a 5 quart pot.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium heat.
- Add onion to skillet. Sauté until onion is translucent and golden (about 5 minutes). Reduce to low heat. Add in the minced garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Turn heat to low until the green beans are ready to be added to the skillet.
- Once the pot of water is boiling, add green beans and cook for 6 minutes in the boiling water. Drain.
- Add green beans into the skillet, along with red pepper flakes and soy sauce. Cook on low for an additional 2-3 minutes to combine flavors.
- Serve in a bowl. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions.