Mix up an Italian olive oil dip for bread with this easy recipe
This easy olive oil bread dip is packed with flavor from dried herbs and a kick of spice from Calabrian chili paste. Whip up this easy appetizer or side dish to accompany an Italian-inspired meal. Balsamic bread dipping oil is best served with a toasted French baguette.
I've always been obsessed with dipping oils for bread. Something about them seems so fancy! Well turns out, making Italian olive oil dip at home is super easy! You just need a few ingredients and 10 minutes.
What You'll Learn In This Recipe
I love teaching you little tips and tricks to make your life easier in the kitchen! In this recipe you'll learn:
- My favorite type of bread to serve with dipping oils
- How to pack a punch of heat in the olive oil dip
- A pretty way to individually plate up and serve this dish
Recipe Video Tutorial
Each of the ingredients in the balsamic dipping oil recipe plays an important role in the flavor. Let's chat about each ingredient:
- Balsamic vinegar: No need to buy an expensive balsamic vinegar for this recipe. The balsamic adds a rich color to the dish and a bit of sweet/tartness
- Extra virgin olive oil: This is the base to our dipping oil! Feel free to add a touch more olive oil if there are too any spices for your liking.
- Lemon juice: Lemon juice adds a nice touch of aciditiy to the dish. I prefer freshly squeezed!
- Black pepper: Did you know freshly cracked pepper has more flavor than pre-ground pepper? Try freshly cracked in this dish - you won't be disappointed!
- Dried basil, oregano, and parsley: After testing the recipe with both fresh herbs and dried herbs, the dried ones won! This makes the recipe super easy becuase you can just pull out dried herbs from your pantry.
- Garlic: I suggest purchasing a whole garlic bulb, and mincing up a few cloves.
- Morton kosher salt: Feel free to adjust the salt to your personal taste.
- Parmesan cheese: Cheese is best when freshly grated. I love using a microplane to grate the cheese.
- Calabrian chili paste: This adds a kick of spice! You can adjust the amount of chili paste according to your heat level.
How To Plate Bread Dip
I prefer to plate up this dip so everyone has their own serving and nobody has to share germs or worry about double-dipping!
I use these individual serving plates, then pour a bit of the olive oil dipping sauce on them. Feel free to add more (or less) Calabrian chili paste as a garnish to each plate. Finally, finish off with a few slices of French baguette.
What To Serve With This Recipe
There are many delicious dishes that could be served alongside the balsamic dipping oil. Here are some of my favorite ideas:
- Italian salad
- Cacio e pepe
- Spaghetti and meatballs
- Pappardelle in ragu sauce
Recipe Frequently Asked Questions
I find crusty bread is best! Something like a baguette, ciabatta, or sourdough loaf is my favorite!
If you're gluten free (like my husband), we love Against the Grain Gourmet baguette.
I like to use California olive oil, but really any extra virgin olive oil will work for this recipe.
Yes, you can prep this dish a few hours ahead of time. Just be sure to store it in the fridge until you're ready to serve. If you make it days ahead of time, the oil might solidify in the fridge. Just take it out of the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature prior to serving.
Super easy - just omit the parmesan cheese. It will still taste delicious!
Balsamic Dipping Oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- ½ teaspoon Morton kosher salt
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Calabrian chili paste
- 1 toasted French baguette for serving
- To a bowl combine balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and lemon juice. Whisk to combine. To the same bowl add black pepper, basil, oregano, parsley, garlic, salt, and parmesan cheese. Whisk to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a shallow serving plate. Place Calabrian chili paste in the middle of the mixture.
- Serve immediately alongside a toasted French baguette.
Other Recipes To Try
If you loved this appetizer recipe, you need to try: