California tuna melt turns pantry essentials (canned tuna) into a fresh & warm open faced sandwich. Made with Greek yogurt & a touch of mayo, all topped with Havarti cheese!
It's been years since I've eaten a tuna melt. But, when I stumbled upon one on Instagram, it seemed like the perfect weekday lunch!
Best news is that this all comes together super quickly! If you want to prep lunch for the whole week, just double or triple the recipe. Easy-peasy!
Creating the Perfect Tuna Melt
I've always been a fan of tuna salad! However, I prefer to add a nice, light touch to tuna salad. Here's my trick - Greek yogurt with just a touch of mayo! I love me some mayo, which is why we're going to add a little bit to add in that flavor. But the majority of the sauce is going to be made of yogurt. Oh...and don't forget to add in a dash of lemon!
Now, the key to a good tuna melt is the bread! You're going to want to have a nice piece of crusty bread! If you're up for an adventure and want to make your own bread, it's the best and TOTALLY worth it! But if not, a good baguette, sour dough, or even ciabatta is a great option!
Onto the toppings! We're going to top this whole open faced tuna melt with a few slices of Havarti cheese, and thinly sliced avocado. It literally can't get better than this!!
California Open Faced Tuna Melt
- ½ cup whole milk Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 green onion thinly sliced
- 15 ounces canned solid white albacore tuna drained
- 1 teaspoon dill
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices crusty bread
- 8 tablespoons Havarti cheese shredded
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, whisk together Greek yogurt, mayo, lemon juice, and green onion. Add drained tuna to the Greek yogurt mixture. Break up tuna into flakes using a fork. Season with dill, salt, and pepper. Stir until fully incorporated.
- Toast bread. Top toasted bread with ¼ - ½ cup of tuna salad and 2 tablespoons of Havarti cheese. Repeat with remaining slices of bread. Place bread on a baking sheet, and place under broiler for 2-4 minutes until cheese is completely melted.
- Serve immediately with avocado sliced on top.