This is the ultimate ice cream flavors list with over 100+ types you need to try! There are so many ice cream names you might not have heard of, and this list will help you learn about popular flavors sorted by color.
Have you been wondering what are the most popular ice cream flavors? You've come to the right place! This is a list sorted by color of the most popular flavors that you need to taste.
There are so many unique and creative flavors out in the world, and it's fun to challenge your tastebuds to a new experience.
While there are obviously thousands upon thousands of flavors around the world (I can't include all ice cream types), this list includes 100+ ideas that are popular in the United States.
There aren't many red-colored ice creams that exist. As it turns out, red is a hard color to recreate, especially in homemade ice cream.
- Beet: Beet juice is the perfect natural food dye for ice cream.
- Peanut Butter & Jelly: The bright red jelly on top of peanut butter ice cream gives the illusion of bright red ice cream.
- Raspberry: Add raspberry puree into custard base ice cream for a creamy treat.
- Red Velvet: The red velvet cake you know and loved turned into ice cream with a cream cheese swirl.
There are many delicious pink-flavored ice creams. Pink is a color that can naturally be achieved simply by adding various types of food into ice cream. Check out some of my favorite flavors.
- Black Cherry: This recipe has a cream cheese-like taste with bursts of sweetness from the cherries.
- Circus Animal Cookies: Frosted animal cookies turn into a decadently rich homemade ice cream.
- Cotton Candy: Cotton candy syrup creates a nostalgic, kid-friendly flavor.
- Hibiscus: The flowery taste of hibiscus tea creates a floral-like taste.
- Mixed Berry: A homemade berry sauce is swirled into vanilla ice cream.
- Neapolitan: While not exclusively pink, this fun variety blends strawberry, chocolate, and vanilla.
- Peppermint Candy Cane: This holiday-inspired ice cream is flavored with candy canes and peppermint schnapps.
- Plum: Roast black splendor plums in the oven with brown sugar for a beautiful, naturally colored ice cream.
- Pomegranate: Pomegranate seeds release a red juice that turns ice cream a perfect pink color.
- Prickly Pear: This is a very fruit-forward dessert using prickly pear juice.
- Rhubarb: Use this summery fruit to create a tangy and sweet taste.
- Rose: A simple and delicate flavor from rose water and vanilla extract.
- Starburst: Pink Starbursts make a pretty pink ice cream that tastes like our favorite candy.
- Strawberry: A classic ice cream filled with chunks of fresh strawberry.
- Watermelon Coconut: Fresh watermelon juice pairs perfectly with creamy coconut milk.
Brightly colored orange ice cream is sure to put a smile on anyone's face. Some of our favorite fruits and vegetables are to thank for these deliciously flavored orange ice creams.
- Blood Orange: A touch of citrus adds a creamsicle-like taste.
- Carrot Cake: Pack in shredded carrots and lots of spices for a fun take on carrot cake.
- Orange Creamsicle: Orange juice and vanilla extract blend together for a beautiful flavor.
- Pumpkin Pie: This classic fall dessert is made using pumpkin puree. Then gingersnap cookies are swirled into the frozen dessert.
- Sweet Potato: Sweet potato blended with cream cheese makes delectable ice cream.
Yellow is a color of happiness and fun. This is also true for these fun and bright flavors. These yellow flavors would be great ice creams to make during the spring and summer seasons.
- Banana: This rich and creamy ice cream is made with real bananas and optionally stuffed with dark chocolate.
- Banana Cream Pie: Everything you love about banana cream pie in the form of ice cream.
- Banana Pudding: Add overripe bananas to this classic dessert filled with Nilla wafer cookies.
- Honey: Honey adds the perfect sweetness and coloring to a vanilla ice cream base.
- Lemon: If you need a bright and tart option, look no further than this treat made with real lemon juice and zest.
- Lemonade: Use lemonade concentrate in a unique way by combining it with a custard base.
- Mango: Blend in pureed mangos for bright and sweet ice cream.
- Peach: Churn fresh peaches into ice cream for a summer treat.
- Piña Colada: This tropical flavored ice cream is filled with coconut, pineapple, and rum.
- Pineapple: Whip up a fresh and light summery flavor with hints of rum.
Green may be an unexpected color for ice cream flavors. But, that doesn't stop it from tasting delicious, bright, and fresh.
- Avocado: Avocado adds a naturally beautiful green color and additional creaminess.
- Cucumber: A refreshing take on ice cream using cucumber, honey, and lemon juice.
- Matcha: Earthly matcha green tea is the perfect answer for naturally dyed green ice cream.
- Mint Chocolate Chip: This classic flavor is known for its fresh and bright taste.
- Pandan: An herbaceous tropical plant used in Asian cooking cuisine that adds a beautiful flavor and color to ice cream.
- Pistachio: A nutty taste combined with a French-style custard base makes the perfect pairing.
You may have guessed, but there aren’t many naturally colored blue ice creams. However, blue food dye adds a fun and bright color to these unique flavors.
- Blue Moon: This is a flavor that is typically found in the midwest portion of the United States. The flavor resembles a combination of raspberry, lemon, and vanilla.
- Blue Raspberry: Raspberry and lemon extract combine for a brightly flavored (and looking) ice cream.
- Bubblegum: This nostalgic bubblegum flavor is artificially dyed blue for a pop of color.
- Cookie Monster: What’s better than a bright blue ice cream loaded with Oreos, chocolate chip cookies, and edible cookie dough?
- Cotton Candy: Infuse cotton candy syrup and some food coloring for a kid-friendly blue-colored ice cream.
Enjoy the various shades of light and dark purple ice creams. Many of the flavors in this category are derived from beautiful purple fruits.
- Blackberry: Cook down fresh blackberries for a puree that adds a delicious sweetness and color.
- Black Raspberry: This fruit has a more intense flavor than traditional blackberries and raspberries with a sweet, tart taste.
- Blueberry: Although the name would imply a blue color, this sweet treat turns out to be a perfect lavender color.
- Blueberry Cheesecake: Combine fresh blueberries and graham crackers for a twist on the classic cheesecake dessert.
- Concord Grape: Roasted concord grapes turn into a sweet concentrate that you can add to an ice cream base.
- Elderberry: The tart, tangy elderberries pair perfectly with a sugary ice cream base for a very balanced flavor.
- Fig: Cook down ripen figs with lemon juice and sugar, then blend them into ice cream.
- Lavender Honey: Lavender syrup infuses a sweet and light flavor.
- Mulberry Crumble: Mulberry provides a burst of tang combined with a spice crumble topping that provides a nice texture.
- Red Wine: Alcoholic ice cream is a real treat, especially when it includes a whole bottle of wine.
- Ube: Ube comes from a purple yam with a slightly nutty yet sweet taste. It’s the perfect coloring and flavor additive.
Jet black ice cream is an unexpected, yet delightful, coloring for this sweet treat. Many of the black-flavored ice creams have very bold and delicious flavor experiences.
- Black Coffee: Mix espresso powder and extra dark cocoa powder for a bold (very caffeinated) flavored ice cream.
- Black Sesame: Combine the flavors of brown sugar with the nutty, roasted Japanese-style black sesame paste.
- Charcoal: Activated charcoal adds an earthy taste and rich black color.
- Cookies and Cream: The more Oreo sandwich cookies you add to this recipe the darker color the ice cream base will turn. There’s no such thing as too many cookies…is there?
- Licorice: Whether you love or hate the flavor of licorice, this is a strongly flavored sweet and bitter dessert.
Many of our favorite classic ice creams are brown. Oftentimes, the brown flavor and color come from chocolate or cocoa powder which adds a beautiful color and taste.
- Bourbon: Try this alcoholic ice cream sweetened with brown sugar.
- Brownie: A classic flavor that’s filled with brownie pieces.
- Butterscotch: This recipe is filled with rich and delicious caramel notes.
- Caramel: If you love a sweet and salty combination, you have to try this salted caramel version.
- Chocolate: This is a classic flavor that’s decadent and silky smooth.
- Chocolate Malt: Malted milk powder adds a delicious flavor and some extra sweetness.
- Dulce de Leche: This flavor has a caramel-like, warm taste.
- Gingerbread: Molasses, ginger, cloves, and allspice help make this recipe super flavorful.
- Maple Walnut: Dark maple syrup infuses the perfect amount of sweetness, along with a crunch from walnut pieces.
- Moose Tracks: Chocolate ice cream filled with ganache and peanut butter cups.
- Nutella: This ice cream is everything you love about the rich hazelnut and chocolate spread with Ferrero Rocher candies folded in.
- Rocky Road: A chocolate-based ice cream filled with almonds, hazelnuts, and marshmallows.
- Speculoos: Use Biscoff cookies to make a silky smooth ice cream filled with spices.
If vanilla ice cream is your favorite, check out these other white-colored ice creams. Many use other mix-ins to add additional flavor.
- Almond Joy: If you love this candy bar, you’ll love this variety with coconut, dark chocolate, and almonds.
- Apple Pie: This recipe is filled with the flavors of chai spices, granny smith apples, and a rich caramel sauce.
- Birthday Cake: This cake-flavored ice cream is made with a few secret ingredients that mimic the taste of yellow cake batter.
- Boston Cream Pie: This ice cream is swirled with pasty cream, fudge, and moist cake pieces.
- Butter Brickle: A butter toffee ice cream filled with chewy toffee bits.
- Cannoli: This cheese-based recipe uses ricotta and mascarpone cheese.
- Chai: You can’t beat the spiced flavor of chai tea.
- Cinnamon: The warm and flavorful spice of cinnamon is a perfect addition to ice cream.
- Coconut: Combine coconut milk and coconut cream for a creamy twist.
- Cookie Dough: What’s better than edible cookie dough packed into vanilla ice cream?
- Eggnog: This holiday flavor is a must-try during the cold winter months.
- Fudge Ripple: Dreamy chocolate ripples swirled throughout the vanilla ice cream.
- Goat Cheese: This is a unique, very tangy flavor sweetened with a hint of honey.
- Hazelnut: A hazelnut butter and dark chocolate add a decadent flavor.
- Horchata: This Mexican-inspired drink is made from rice. You'll love this recipe spiked with Rumchata.
- Irish Cream: This boozy ice cream is flavored with Bailey's Irish cream.
- Key Lime Pie: Key limes merry together perfectly with graham crackers to make a pie-like flavor.
- Maple Bacon: Salty, crispy bacon adds a delightful taste and texture.
- Mascarpone: A cheese-based ice cream with a rich and creamy texture.
- Pecan Pie: This French-style custard is filled with toasted pecans, maple syrup, and hints of vanilla.
- Praline: This vanilla ice cream is stuffed with caramel sauce and pecan praline.
- Rum Raisin: Soak raisins overnight in rum for a sweet and boozy bite.
- S'mores: Plain vanilla is pushed up a notch with mix-ins of chocolate and graham crackers. Plus, you can't forget to top with toasted marshmallows.
- Snickerdoodle: Perfectly sugary and cinnamony all at the same time.
- Tiramisu: All the rich flavors of coffee and chocolate that you love in this Italian dessert.
- Vanilla (French custard): You can’t go wrong with a classic custard base vanilla. It's rich and creamy from all the egg yolks.
- Vanilla (Philadelphia style/egg-free): This style of ice cream is great for anyone with an egg allergy.
- White Chocolate: White chocolate chunks add richness and decadence.
If you're looking for even more popular ice creams, visit my Pinterest board with lots of homemade recipe inspiration.
Plus, check out 30+ homemade ice cream recipes to make with an at-home ice cream machine.
Love this guide? Please leave a comment below. Don't forget to follow along on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and Pinterest for more recipes.
Leave a Reply