Try baking with yogurt by creating a delicious and moist coffee cake loaf
Warm, gooey sugar and cinnamon coffee cake loaf recipe is the ultimate decadent breakfast or dessert. If you're wondering what you can make with Greek yogurt, you have to try baking up this version of quick bread. In addition to the cinnamon and sugar, the coffee cake has Greek yogurt to keep the cake moist and light. Whether you're looking for a warm winter breakfast or an addition to Christmas brunch, Greek yogurt coffee cake is best served straight from the oven!
This famous Greek yogurt coffee cake recipe is a staple in our household. It's a family recipe that my mother-in-law has so graciously shared with me!
The best part about the coffee cake loaf recipe is how moist, rich, and fluffy it is! It's the perfect combination of decadent, yet not too heavy.
We love making the Greek yogurt cake as part of our Christmas brunch menu. It's a great sweet addition to the table. Plus, it can be made the night before, which makes brunch on Christmas morning a breeze!
What You'll Learn In This Recipe
Not only will you love eating this Greek yogurt coffee cake, but you'll also learn a few baking tips and tricks along the way including:
- Why coffee cake is classified as a quick bread (and what that means in the baking world).
- How the creaming mixing method is used to make a fluffy, light cake loaf.
- Tips for storing and baking the coffee cake loaf ahead of time. Plus, some ideas for what to serve alongside it for brunch.
For more of my favorite baking tips and tricks, download my free Better Baker Guide. This 13 page guide will be delivered straight to your inbox! I promise you'll learn at least one secret to use next time you're baking at home!
What Is Coffee Cake?
In the baking world, coffee cake is considered a quick bread. Quick bread also includes loaves (like this recipe) or muffins.
Quick bread is leavened using chemical leaveners like baking powder or baking soda rather than yeast. These types of baking recipes are great for when you're in a hurry and don't have time to wait on the yeast to rise!
Ingredients to Make Coffee Cake Loaf
To make a delicious coffee cake using Greek yogurt, you'll need the following ingredients:
- Unsalted butter: Be sure the butter is at room temperature in order to correctly cream the butter and sugar together.
- Granulated sugar: This ingredient is used in both the coffee cake batter and the topping!
- Vanilla extract: This is another way to enhance the flavor of the cake!
- Large eggs: While many recipes require room temperature eggs, you can skip that step on this Greek yogurt coffee cake. Luckily, many quick bread recipes are able to handle the cold ingredients.
- All purpose flour: If you're gluten free, you can substitute the all purpose flour for Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour.
- Baking powder: Baking powder is the leavener we use in quick breads. It helps the coffee cake rise.
- Baking soda: This is another leavener often used in quick breads. Baking soda is used when an acid (like yogurt) is present in a recipe.
- Whole milk plain Greek yogurt: There are lots of different brands available. Just be sure you select whole milk.
- Brown sugar: This recipe uses light brown sugar. Be sure to firmly pack it in the measuring cup so you get the correct proportions!
- Ground cinnamon: Cinnamon adds such a warm and comforting flavor to the loaf cake.
Tips For Baking With Greek Yogurt
There are so many great recipes with plain Greek yogurt. Yogurt is a great addition to dessert and baking recipes because it adds moisture. If you have leftover Greek yogurt to use up, this would be a great recipe!
Here are a few tips for baking with Greek yogurt:
- Be sure to pay attention to the fat percentage the recipe calls for (i.e. whole milk, nonfat). For this recipe, we are using whole milk yogurt.
- Read through the recipe prior to baking to see if the yogurt needs to be at room tempertaure. For this loaf pan coffee cake recipe, you can use cold Greek yogurt.
- Don't be tempted to substitute plain yogurt for flavored yogurt. This will result in a different final product. Always be sure follow the ingredients stated in the recipe for best results!
Tools & Equipment You'll Need
The yogurt coffee cake is mixed using the creaming method. This means we will cream (or beat) the butter and sugar together to incorporate air. This helps leaven the coffee cake so it's nice and fluffy after it comes out of the oven.
In order to mix the loaf cake using the creaming method, you'll need a few tools:
- Mixing bowls: You'll need a few different mixing bowls for this recipe.
- Stand mixer or electric mixer: This is an important tool for the creaming method of mixing. In order to have a final product that's cake-like with a fine texture, use an electric mixer!
- Whisk: We're making a bit of a non-traditional streusel with granulated sugar, brown sugar, and ground cinnamon. A whisk will help mix this topping up!
- Two loaf pans:If you'd rather make a full cake, you could also use a 9x13 baking pan.
- Offset spatula: This is a helpful tool to spread out the batter in between layers on the loaf cake.
Recipe Frequently Asked Questions
This recipe can also be baked in a 9x13 pan. This is a great option if you're feeding a large crowd or would prefer to serve this 'cake style'.
Yes, you can bake this recipe the night before you wish to serve the coffee cake. This loaf cake will last 3-5 days in an airtight container on the counter. You can reheat it in the microwave so it's warm when you're ready to eat!
Yes, simply replace the all-purpose flour in the recipe below with Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour.
I've made this recipe gluten free many times! You won't even be able to taste the difference!
Greek Yogurt Coffee Cake Loaf
- Heat the oven to 350° F.
- Add butter and 1 cup (198 grams) granulated sugar to a medium-sized mixing bowl. Beat butter and sugar using a stand or hand-held mixer, until pale in color, about 2 minutes. Beat in vanilla extract and eggs until well combined.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and baking powder in a separate bowl.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and Greek yogurt to the butter and sugar mixture with the mixer running on low speed. Mix just until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- In a small bowl whisk brown sugar, remaining ¾ cup (149 grams) granulated sugar, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Pour and spread half of the batter into two prepared loaf pans. Top each loaf with a fourth of the cinnamon sugar mixture. Add the last half of the batter into each pan. Smooth batter with an offset spatula or knife. If the batter is difficult to spread, run hot water over the spatula/knife. Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon sugar on top of each loaf.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool coffee cake in the pan set on a wire rack for at least 1 hour before removing from the pan.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy
If you enjoyed this coffee cake with yogurt recipe, be sure to try out some of my other favorite baking recipes!