This post contains affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Please see full disclosure for more details.
Recreate the Starbucks brown sugar drink at home with a few simple ingredients
This copycat brown sugar oatmilk drink from Starbucks is easier to make at home than you may think! If you love a good shaken drink, this brown sugar latte is the perfect morning coffee for you! All you'll need for this Starbucks espresso coffee is some brown sugar syrup, blonde espresso, oatmilk, and cinnamon. It takes under 5 minutes to shake up this recipe, so you'll be out the door, drink in hand, in no time!
This brown sugar latte recipe has to win the award for the prettiest coffee drink! The golden color that forms when the oat milk hits the espresso is absolutely beautiful!
The brown sugar oatmilk shaken espresso is a drink from Starbucks that isn't overly sweet. You can definitely taste the espresso, with a finishing flavor of brown sugar and cinnamon. The plus of making this drink at home is that you can customize the drink to your liking - more or less sweetness, cinnamon, or oatmilk.
What You'll Learn In This Recipe
By making this delicious brown sugar espresso drink, you'll learn a few things:
- What makes blonde espresso different than other types of espresso.
- A recipe for making your very own brown sugar syrup. Don't worry, simple syrup whips up in under 5 minutes.
- How to customize the shaken espresso to your liking.
Recipe Video Tutorial
There are only a few ingredients needed to recreate this Starbucks drink at home:
- Brown sugar syrup: Starbucks has an amazing simple syrup made with brown sugar and maple syrup. It's the sweetener used in the brown sugar oatmilk shaken espresso. I've got a homemade recipe so you can make the brown sugar syrup at home!
- Blonde espresso: Blonde espresso is a lighter roasted version of the traditional dark bean espresso. Blonde espresso tends to have a sweeter, more mellow taste compared to other espresso varieties.
- Ground cinnamon: Cinnamon is part of the rich flavor in this Starbucks brown sugar drink. Feel free to use it as a garnish as well!
- Oatmilk: Oatmilk has quickly become the new plant-based milk that everyone is obsessed with! It adds a rich, creamy touch to this coffee drink.
Tools & Equipment
You'll only need two things to make the Starbucks (copycat) recipe:
- Cocktail shaker: You'll need this to shake up everything in the drink.
- Glass/Cup: This recipe fits perfectly in a 12 ounce glass. Feel free to use a pretty glass and straw (like I did for my photo) or a to-go coffee cup.
Recipe Frequently Asked Questions
In a pinch, you can make the brown sugar drink with cold brew coffee. It won't taste exactly like the Starbucks version, but still very delicious!
You're welcome to use unsweetened, plain almond milk as a substitution.
The Starbucks version isn't overly sweet! However, you're welcome to add more brown sugar syrup to sweeten the drink to your liking.
Brown Sugar Oatmilk Shaken Espresso
- ¾ ounce brown sugar syrup (see recipe)
- 3 ounces blonde espresso
- 2 shakes ground cinnamon
- oatmilk to top
- Prepare the brown sugar syrup.
- Add brown sugar syrup, espresso, cinnamon, and ½ cup of ice to a cocktail shaker. Shake for 10 seconds. Pour ice and drink into a 12 ounce glass.
- Top glass with ½ inch of oatmilk. Serve immediately.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy
If you loved this drink, try out my other favorite coffee-related recipes:
- How To Make Espresso Cold Brew
- Espresso Martini with Peanut Butter Whiskey
- Starbucks Copycat Brown Sugar Syrup
- Starbucks Sweet Cream Cold Foam
- How to Make Cold Foam Without A Frother