This peach and lemon rum cocktail combines delicious summer fruit with one of our favorite summer activities - grilling! The fresh lemon citrus packs a punch of acidity to the drink, while the honey helps balance out the sweetness. Throw in some basil for a bitter note. If you want to start your weekend out right, go mix up a pitcher!Jump to Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I'll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
Summer is THE TIME to sip on cocktails and lay outside! No need to go to a restaurant to sip on fancy drinks. We can make them all from the comfort of our own home. Buckle up, because I'm going to teach you my favorite tricks to making cocktails at home!
Different Types of Rum
Rum is a popular spirit for many common summer drinks: mojitio, daiquiris, piña colada, mai tai, hurricane, and many more! Rum is an interesting spirit because it has very little regulation compared to other liquors. All rum is, however, made from sugarcane, molasses (the byproduct of boiling sugarcane juices), or a combination of the two. Since it is made from sugarcane, rum is one of the sweeter types of liquor.
There are many types of rum, all of which have slight differences. The main types of rum are:
Light Rum: A clear, light bodied rum typically aged very briefly, then filtered with charcoal to remove color and impurities.
Gold Rum: Usually aged longer than light rum which gives it a more complex flavor. However, the color differentiation can come from a caramel coloring.
Dark Rum: Aged for longer periods of time, resulting in a more complex flavor. Be careful, because some distillers can add molasses to the final product to change the color.
Spiced Rum: A distilled rum flavored with various spices such as cinnamon, vanilla, or cloves.
Flavored Rum: A distilled rum flavored with various notes such as lemon, lime, or coconut.
Rhum Agricole: This rum is made only from sugarcane juice (not molasses). This is a specific style of rum from the French Caribbean islands. It can vary in color and flavor notes.
Navy Rum or Overproof: This refers to any rum 50% ABV or higher. The name "navy rum" comes from when a rum ration was given to sailors on Navy ships.
For our grilled peach and lemon rum cocktail, we are using a lemon flavored light rum. The perfect addition to pair with our grilled fruit!
How to Make the PERFECT Cocktail
The key to a great cocktail is balancing the flavors so they compliment and meld with each other. Rather than having just one flavor note, your cocktail needs to have various layers and depths of flavors. So how do we get this?! There are five major ingredients you need to include in your drink:
- Acidity: Think citrus – lemon, lime, grapefruit, orange, etc.
- Sweetness: You could use a simple syrup, fruit juice, honey, agave, or straight up fruit.
- Bitterness: Add a dash of bitters or use herbs such as mint, basil, rosemary, etc.
- Alcohol: The base of any cocktail, but you can choose to omit if you’d prefer a mocktail. Typically, you are going to use your liquors such as vodka, gin, tequila, rum, and whiskey.
- Fizz: Make the drink pop by topping it off with soda, seltzer, sparkling or tonic water, prosecco, or club soda.
Best Tools to Make Cocktails At Home
If you are new to crafting your own specialty cocktails at home, then you'll want to invest in a few tools! This 18 piece bartending set is great. I have the EXACT same one (thanks to my sister-in-law for gifting it to me) and it has everything you could need.
If you're purchasing tools to complete your bar, make sure to to grab a juicer. It's a necessity for freshly juiced summer cocktails!!
Grilled Peach and Lemon Rum Cocktail
- 4 ripe ripe peaches pitted and quartered
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- 2-4 tablespoons honey (more or less to taste)
- 1 lemon juiced
- 8 ounces lemon rum
- lemon lime soda (like Fresca) for topping
- Heat the grill to high. Once heated, oil grill grates. Grill peaches for 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from grill and cut peaches into 1 inches pieces. Allow to cool for a few minutes before moving on.
- In a pitcher, add the peach slices, basil, honey, and lemon juice. Muddle all of the ingredients together.
- Add the rum, and stir to combine.
- Add some ice to the pitcher and top with a splash of lemon lime soda. Serve immediately.