Create a delicious spicy whipped feta appetizer dip in under 10 minutes
Need an easy, crowd-pleasing appetizer? This whipped dip is made from feta cheese and Greek yogurt. Then, flavor is added with Calabrian chili pepper paste, garlic, and lemon juice. It's a flavorful, creamy dip that you can make in under 10 minutes. Serve with warm pita wedges and crudités.
I really love appetizers! Probably more than the average person. There's something about eating appetizers (especially heavy appetizers for dinner) that just makes me happy.
Dip is obviously a fan favorite when it comes to appetizers, and this spicy whipped feta dip is no different! It's creamy with the perfect amount of added heat.
If you're feeding a crowd, this recipe could easily be doubled or tripled to accommodate your needs. Plus, it's an easy entertaining dip that you can quickly whip up.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that you have to try this recipe! You won't be disappointed, especially if you love appetizers as much as I do. You'll be surprised how quickly a big bowlful of this delicious spicy feta dip will disappear.
What You'll Learn In This Recipe
I love teaching my readers a new thing or two about food. Something you didn't previously know before making this recipe. In this article you'll learn:
- All about feta cheese - what type of cheese it's classified as, what it's made from, and more.
- A special ingredient that makes this dip have the perfect spice level!
- How to make this dish ahead of time (up to 3 days early) if you're preparing for a party or get-together.
Be sure to sign up for my five day email series if you like learning about the science of cooking and tips to improve your skills in the kitchen.
What Is Feta Cheese?
Feta is a type of fresh cheese, meaning it is uncooked and unripened. These types of cheeses are known for their creamy texture and tangy taste.
Feta can be made from sheep, goat, and/or cow milk, depending on who is producing it. If you have the option, opt to buy feta that is stored in brine water. It helps keep the cheese fresh and ensures it's not dried out.
Because of the creaminess of feta, it's perfect to use in salads and appetizers, as well as a component in sauces and fillings.
Whipped Feta Recipe Ingredients
There are so many bright and delicious flavors in this spicy feta dip recipe. Here's what you'll need to make it:
- Feta cheese: This is the star of the show! The creamy texture of feta really blends up well to create the perfect dip!
- Whole milk Greek yogurt: This ingredient adds some additional tanginess to the dish, and helps the feta blend up smoothly. In a pinch, you could substitute for sour cream to make a slightly different version of this dip.
- Calabrian chili pepper paste: If you've never heard of this ingredient, they're hot peppers (even hotter than jalapeños), which gives the dip the perfect level of spice.
- Garlic: You'll need a clove of garlic or the equivalent amount of jarred garlic.
- Morton kosher salt and Black pepper: Always season your food with a bit of salt and pepper. Feel free to adjust the seasoning based on personal taste.
- Extra virgin olive oil: Olive oil helps thin out the dip and add in a rich taste!
- Lemon juice: I love the tart, fresh flavor that lemon juice adds. Feel free to throw in some lemon zest if you want to increase this flavor profile.
- Extra garnishes: I'm a big fan of adding garnishes on top of this dip. I like to add a little bit more olive oil, toasted sesame seeds, and green onions. Plus, don't forget to add some additional Calabrian chili pepper paste to bump up the level of heat.
- For serving: You'll need a vessel to eat the spicy feta dip with. My favorite foods to serve alongside this dip are toasted pita wedges (or pita chips) and crudités like carrot sticks, cucumber slices, and red bell pepper. This would be a great dip to include on a veggie platter!
Kitchen Tools You'll Need
There are a few kitchen tools you'll need to make this recipe including:
Food Processor: This is the main tool you'll need to get a silky smooth whipped feta without much hard work on your end. You could also use a high-powered blender or even an immersion blender to help break up the large chunks of feta.
Spatula: This is useful when scraping down the bowl of a food processor.
Serving Bowl: Part of the beauty of this feta Greek yogurt dip is how lovely it looks all plated up. I prefer a white serving bowl so the color of the dip can shine! A small to medium bowl is a perfect size.
Recipe Frequently Asked Questions
In order to make a super smooth whipped feta, you need to give the dip time to fully blend in the food processor. Take your time (it takes a couple minutes) and scrape down the sides of the food processor as needed to ensure all the pieces of feta get smoothly blended.
If you've done this and the dip still seems smooth, slowly stream in another tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil while the food processor is running on high speed.
You can absolutely adjust the level of heat to your liking. Simply add less Calabrian chili pepper paste than the recipe calls for. If you're not a fan of spice, omit the chili pepper paste altogether.
Yes, you can absolutely prepare this dip ahead of time - up to 3 days before serving. Store the dip in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to serve, allow the dip to come to room temperature, then garnish.
Other Appetizer Recipes To Try
Don't forget to try these other great appetizer recipes:
- This Italian inspired Balsamic Dipping Oil for Bread pairs perfectly with a crusty baguette.
- Smoked Salmon Canapés are just as beautiful to look at as they are to eat!
- For a heavy appetizer that will fill you up, make these Asian Style Beef Brochettes.
- Need a no cook appetizer? Try these Appetizer Skewers.
- All dip lovers should make a Hummus Platter complete with three different flavors of hummus.
- Grilled Peach and Ricotta Crostini are the perfect entertaining appetizer.
Recipe Video Tutorial
Easy Whipped Spicy Feta Dip (10 Minute Recipe)
- 8 ounces feta cheese
- ¾ cup whole milk Greek yogurt (6 ounces)
- 1 ½ teaspoons Calabrian chili pepper paste plus several teaspoons for garnish
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ teaspoon Morton kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil plus several tablespoons for garnish
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- green onions cut on the bias for garnish
- toasted pita wedges for serving
- crudités for serving
- Add feta, yogurt, Calabrian chili pepper paste, garlic, salt, and black pepper to a food processor bowl. Blend on high until the mixture becomes a smooth paste.
- Stream in olive oil and lemon juice while the food processor is running on high. Continue blending on high, scraping down the sides as necessary, until the mixture is silky smooth.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Drizzle additional olive oil on top for garnish. Place a heaping teaspoon of Calabrian chili paste in the middle of the feta dip. Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds and green onions on top.
- Serve with toasted pita and crudités.